Location: southern end of the Maidan
Period of construction: 1839-1847
Dedicated to: St. Paul
Calcutta St. Paul's Cathedral is the first Episcopal Church of the
Orient. Bishop Wilson patronized the construction of this beautiful
church in 1839. The credit for the awesome designing of this Indo-Gothic
architecture goes to Major W.N. Forbes. The work of establishing the St.
Paul Cathedral of Kolkata, India got completed in 1847. It is situated
at the southern end of the Maidan. Read on to know more about the Saint
The church got destroyed due to the earthquake of 1897 and then it was
renovated. But, the earthquake of 1934 led to the collapse of the tower
and eventually it was rebuilt on the lines of the Bell Harry Tower of
Canterbury Cathedral. It is 247 ft. in length and 81 ft. in width. The
main hall of the cathedral is very large containing splendid carved
wooden pews and chairs. Its eastern walls are covered with the
mind-blowing colorful artwork.
The church is located within huge grounds, where you can also find a
meditation point that has been set up in the recent times in
collaboration with distinguished citizens of Tagore's Shantiniketan. The
beautiful pictures describe the life and works of Saint Paul. The
atmosphere of this cathedral is very tranquil. The architecture and the
interim of the Saint Paul Cathedral is truly a feast for eyes.
Here is provided information on the Calcutta Saint Paul's Cathedral. Read about the St. Paul Cathedral of Kolkata, India.