It is very difficult to trace the origin of Bengali music, but it can be said that it has seen lot of variations. The reservoir of traditional music of Kolkata, India is very comprehensive and can be classified into distinctive categories. One among them is the Calcutta folk music, which in itself provides a number of options to choose from.
Here is given an overview of different kinds of Bengali music:
Here is given information on the traditional music of Kolkata India. read about Bengali folk music.
Calcutta Folk Music
- Folks Songs
- Baul - these are the songs sung by a specific group of people known as Bauls.
- Kirtan - religious songs that are mostly sung in chorus.
- Bhatiali - these songs are more commonly sung by the boatmen. S.D.Burman experimented a lot with these tunes and used them in several popular modern songs.
- Majlishi Classical Songs - thungri, toppa
- Devotional Songs - Ramprasadi, ShyamaSangeet, Bhaktigeeti
- Rabindra Sangeet - songs written and tuned by Rabindranath Tagore
- General Modern Bengali Songs- Film and non-film songs
- Ganasangeet- these songs convey a social message and are usually sung in chorus.
- Classical Music
- Vocal - Kheyal, different ragas.
- Instrumental - Sitar, Sarod, Flute, Tabla